Sunday, February 7, 2010

Beach Bums, Cheese Rollers and returning to our roots......

I can't say much has come out of my scrap space lately. In fact I'm still trying to finish a couple for my grandparents from Christmas. This is one of them. Just a few Disney highlights put down on paper. We've spent this weekend exploring Southland. I'm still trying to find my birthday pressie and thought Winton (and its lovely gift shops) might be the place. But no THE thing (yet to be decided) wasn't there. Is it any wonder Phil hates trying to get me a present when I can't even find it? But Winton was gorgeous 32 degrees (only 1/2 hr from Invers). We relished the little country town atmosphere and Jollie Lollie icecreams. Yummy!

Then we drove to Riverton and enjoyed the beach. Thought the boys might have put their toes in but off they took. Loving it and the water was even surprisingly warm. Look at the delight in Harry's face. Love to watch him play.


As for Master Jake he loved the muddy sand and took great joy in throwing it at us.



Then today we went out to Waikaka Valley to the New Zealand Cheese Rolling Championships!!! So funny. Look closely and you will see a white ball out in front they are chasing it down a steep hill (and falling lots) aim is to be the first to get the cheese.

The boys took great joy on the jeeps. Everytime they went over a bump the laughter was LOUD and you couldn't help but laugh too.


The other reason why Waikaka is so great as it feel like home. It is full of rolling hills and green pastures. So serene and peaceful. Also it is where my roots are. My grandparents lived there when they were first married (60 yrs ago) and my Dad was bought up there. I never lived there but it feels like home. So it was truely fantastic to take Nana and Grandad out there and explore the old "homelands" with them. Its now in ruins, most of it gone and there is a big bees nest, but I love it. The boys just loved checking it out too.

They loved climbing about on this tree.

The old fireplace.

Out back boys. Gotta love them. xo

This one in particular I reckon is kind of sexy.

In other exciting news our block of land settled on Friday. So this little 5 acres is ours. No idea what we will do with it in the short term - to lease, farm, Christmas trees...watch this space. But once it is fenced (hopefully this month) we will be forced to decide. In the meantime we shouldn't have to buy firewood in a long time, those trees are quite overgrown and in need of a good prune. In a few years time we hope to build our new home here. So as always we are planning and drawing our ideas. The boys are quite excited about "their farm". I am excited to have some room to move and establish something again perhaps a little more me in style. Let the rustic scouting begin....

So we are slowly establishing ourselves and life is slowing down to a more manageable pace. I have started work casually but will start my job in Emergency on 22nd of this month. Looking forward to the challenge I have alot to learn. Boys are well and Kindy is going great. Seems like he has just always has gone.

Hope all is well in your lives. xo

2 comments:

  1. oh what a life! sounds wonderful - with so many day trips available to you - the boys look great - and i never tire of seeing their beautiful faces. what i wouldn't give right now for a little bit of green...
    mwah mwah mwah x don

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw - where's the photos of you pleeeeease :)

    ReplyDelete